Finding Your Niche In Private Practice
Do I HAVE to determine a niche in counseling?
You, like many therapists, are feeling the pressure to find a niche. How do you go about it? Is it going to cause you to be too narrow and then not receive any clients?
Learning to niche in private practice down to a couple themes is going to give you that expert name and help the clients find you.
Do you know what the biggest pro of having a niche is?
Truly becoming an expert on this subject!
In addition to being an expert, people will value your opinion on the subjects. With this added value you will get to charge the rates that you feel your value is worth.
Furthermore, take some time each day to remind yourself why you have chosen this niche and the reasoning behind it. You may have some personal reasons as to why you are drawn to these themes.
- Attending local workshops
- Reaching out to others who specialize in your niche.
The process of how you can find your niche in private practice:
- Start to brainstorm all the clients you have worked with – think about the ones who you have really connected with. What made you so interested in those clients?
- Write down what areas you helped them with -Whether it be anxiety, sexuality, depression, and so on.
- Get all of those written down. -If you feel sure that you have every area that has interested you so far written down we can move on.
- Organize these into themes – like anxiety and depression would go under moods.
- Do this for all of your areas until they fit under one theme or another – This process could take some thinking as some areas could fall under two themes, I like to put those in between the two themes as it helps me with the next step.
- Lastly, pick out 2-5 of them that you feel most passionate about – it’s a great thing if they have intertwining areas from the previous process.
Keep in mind that the advice and healing those people offer is not going to be the same healing that you offer. They also have the same limitations as you do with the number of clients they can take on. The fear that there will not be room for you, though valid is backed behind false assumptions.
Now that you know what your combo niches are, you have to let the world know your choices!
This is the fun part!
Your website (Click here if you need to set one up) and other social media platforms should feature all of the same keywords you wrote down previously. Making sure these words can be linked back to you helps potential clients find you when searching for you on google.
Leave us some comments with your combo niches below and why you choose those, don’t forget to tell us what you all think about these steps and keep us updated along your journey of finding your niche.
Get more tips and content like this delivered to your inbox!
Join our mailing list to receive more tips and tricks, freebies, and resources to help you grow your private practice.